About Norton sub Hamdon

Norton sub Hamdon consists mainly of properties made from the local Hamstone which is quarried nearby.  This produces a lovely golden warm yellow hue giving it a welcoming feel.  Norton is surrounded by predominantly agricultural land – dairy, sheep and arable can all be found and recently the addition of many cider apple orchards, bringing back a slice of its original history.  We have some majestic mature trees which add structure and splendour.   A beautiful dominant medieval church stands proudly in the centre of the village, with the popular Hamstone village pub The Lord Nelson, situated further down.  A meandering stream runs through the village, offering peace and tranquillity as the water gurgles down the side of the lanes.

Norton sub Hamdon is recorded in the Domesday Book.  The oldest building in the parish is the 14th century Pigeon House which stands in the churchyard and once formed part of the manor estate.  The late 15th Century Parish Church replaced a Norman Church.  The church register dates back to 1558 and still records baptisms, marriages and deaths.  In the second half of the last century, and up until the 1930’s, Norton was largely an agricultural village.  There was also quarrying, sail cloth weaving and glove making.

Visitors to Norton never leave here disappointed and often make friends for life, returning time and time again!  We have a local B&B, plus in Little Norton (the adjacent Hamlet), there is self-catering at The Mill.   Ham Hill is a small walk away which is totally free to all, offering activity days and the freedom to let off steam either by walking, running, cycling or riding. Ham Hill is also steeped in History and been home to many archaeological digs.